For Thursday, June 18.
For this session, we are focusing on the role of language in literacy education. As many of you have shared, either you have had the experience of learning English as a new language, or you have worked with students who are learning English. The following texts will prepare you for our Twitter chat (Thrs. from 8-9PM) so please bring your questions to that session.
Please read/watch the following texts. You are given options so that you can have some control over your inquiry of this topic. When you have read/watched your selections, please leave a comment below in which you might…
- offer your reflection
- share moments that stood out to you and explain why
- make a connection to your own learning and/or teaching
- pose a question to the group
- address a question/comment presented by a classmate
You must read:
Watch one of the following two speeches by prominent scholars:
- María Torres-Guzmàn – Period 1: From Sink or Swim to the Dawn of a New Era
- Li Wei – Multilingualism, Social Cognition and Creativity
Watch one of the following three author documentaries/speeches: